||Firepits and Chimineas
Firepits and chimineas are an inexpensive
way to extend the seasonal use of outdoor
dining and seating areas without installing
a more permanent outdoor fireplace. Firepits
are low dish shaped metal containers in which
to burn wooden logs. Chimineas have a pot
belly shape with a long neck which directs
the smoke upward. Traditionally, chimineas
were made from clay but newer models are
The following should be considered
these outdoor sources of heat:
- Check the height. Those less than 30 inches
tall should not be used on flammable surfaces
such as wood decks.
- Stability of the unit is extremely important.
- Consider the weight of the unit if it is
to be moved or stored.
- Ashes should be easy to remove.
- Consider a grill or shelf for outdoor cooking.
Be sure to store clay chimineas
in a protected
place in severe winters; metal
be left outside. Make sure all
placed away from anything flammable,