Upholstered furniture has been padded and
covered with fabric to make it comfortable.
Sofas, sectional sofas, chairs, benches and
ottomans are the most common pieces to be
upholstered. Prices vary enormously depending
on the quality of construction and the materials
used. The choice of fabric is very important
in determining cost and durability. |
The following should be considered
- Look for kiln dried, double doweled hardwood
frames that will stand up to heavy use for
- Heavy gauge steel springs and high resiliency
foam padding are important
- Cushions should be made of high quality foam.
They can be wrapped in fiber,
down for added softness.
- Fabric used for interior linings should be
sturdy and durable.
- Exterior fabric can be delicate or hard wearing.
Be sure you pick appropriate fabric for the
amount of use the piece will experience.
Consider children and pet use and whether
anyone will be routinely eating while sitting
Remember that many fabrics can be treated
to resist stains and wear.