|While the basic function of all ovens is
the same -- transferring heat to food --
there are many variations of ovens, each
suited to a particular cooking style. |
When buying an oven, here are
- Heating type - flame, heating element, convection,
- Power source - electric, gas, wood, or coal
- Size and number of ovens
- Style - standalone, oven/range combinations,
and built-in (for below or above counter
- Appearance, which includes materials such
as stainless steel and colors.
- Convenience features such as delayed start,
multiple temperature programming, and digital
temperature setting and readout.
- Usage - consider whether the primary purpose
will be for baking, broiling, keeping warm,
defrosting, warming, or reheating, and whether
the oven will be used as a part of your main
kitchen or perhaps in another area of your
house such as an outdoor kitchen or snack area.
Follow the links below for more
on the various types of ovens: