See Other River2u Commonsense Guides
      Home Improvement  »   Tools  »   Painting Tools  »
Paint Rollers

A good paint roller can dramatically cut the time it takes to paint a large, flat surface such as walls and ceilings. Paint rollers use changeable paint roller covers; choosing the right cover for your paint job can make a big difference in the final appearance.

Types of Roller Covers

Paint roller covers are made from lamb's wool, synthetic fabric, and foam. Check the paint or stain manufacturer's recommendations, but in general, oil based paints require lamb's wool. Latex and other water-based paints require synthetic fabric. Foam covers can be used either for oil or high-gloss latex so long as the surface isn't rough.

Selecting a Roller Cover's Nap

The nap of a roller cover is the length (or depth) of the covering. The more uneven or rough the surface you wish to paint, the

longer the nap should be. Use a short nap (1/8" to 1/4") roller cover for applying floss and semi-gloss paint to wallboard, plaster, wood, or metal. Use a medium nap (3/8" to 1/2") roller cover for applying flat paint to concrete, rough wood, and lightly textured stucco. Use a long nap for concrete block, brick, and heavily textured stucco.

As a service to you, we are experimenting with providing additional product information:
Questions, Comments, Suggestions, & Corrections 2005,2006 CliqueFriends, LLC