A step ladder is necessary equipment for
both indoor and outside home
projects. A safe, sturdy ladder
for many years. Most have fold
for holding the tools necessary
for the job
to be done. The following should
when buying step ladders:
- Consider the height. Step ladders range from
3 to 12 feet tall. The maximum safe reach
for any ladder is about 6 feet more than
the height of the ladder since it is unsafe
to stand on the highest step.
- Consider the load capacity. Step ladders
come in 225, 250, 300 and 375 lbs. maximum
weight capacity. Add the weight of the person
on the ladder plus the weight of any equipment
to determine the capacity you need.
- Consider the construction material of the
- fiberglass ladders are strong and durable.
They resist corrosion and (very important
when doing electrical work) do not conduct
electricity when they are clean and dry.
- aluminum ladders are also durable and moisture
resistant. They are lighter weight and so
easier to move around, but they will conduct
- traditional wooden ladders are also durable
and non-conductive, but they are heavier
and will deteriorate if left outdoors.
- Most step ladders fold up for easy storage,
but all should have a reliable
means of locking
the ladder firmly open so that
collapse when in use.